USHSL Bylaws – 10/03/2014
A. Utah Society of Health Sciences Librarians
A. The purpose of this organization is to support library professionals in Utah who have an interest in improving their skills as health information providers.
1. Membership is open to anyone interested in the field of health information access and management. Applicants will become members upon receipt of their dues.
B. Rights and Privileges
1. All members in good standing are eligible to:
a) run for the office of Chair
b) vote in elections;
c) vote on decisions affecting the organization;
d) attend, without fee, all meetings at which no program is presented.
1. The assumption of USHSL is that all members are actively contributing to the robustness and success of the organization. However, committed members may not have the time to contribute to the organization. For this reason there are two levels of dues. The basic level and the too-busy dues level.
2. The basic dues amount will be determined by a majority vote of those present and eligible to vote at the annual business meeting. The too-busy dues amount will be 2 times the basic dues. Basic and too-busy dues will be assessed on an annual basis for the period of the calendar year.
3. Dues will be payable on joining and thereafter at the beginning of the calendar year. If dues are unpaid by April 1, the member will not be considered in good standing, losing all rights and privileges until dues are paid.
IV. Elected Officers and Appointed Officials
A. Elected Officer and Term of Office
1. The elective officer will be the Chair.
2. The term of office of the Chair will be two years. No one may serve more than two successive terms as Chair.
3. The Chair will take office at the beginning of the calendar year following their election and serve, unless they resign, die, become incapacitated, or are removed by a majority vote by the membership, until the close of the calendar year at the end of their term of office or until their successor is elected and assumes the Chair’s duties.
B. Appointed Officials and Term of Service
1. The appointed officials will be the Treasurer and the Website Manager
2. Appointed officials will take office when appointed by the Chair and serve until they resign, or are removed by the Chair.
A. The duties of the Chair will be to set the date and time for meetings, preside over all meetings, appoint a member at each meeting to take minutes, appoint the Treasurer and Website Manager, submit an Annual Report to the membership by January 31 of the following year, and oversee the nominations and election of the next Chair.
B. The duties of the Treasurer will be to receive and account for all monies due to the organization, to submit a report of the budget at the annual business meeting, and to get approval for expenses above $100 through a vote by the membership.
C. The duties of the Website Manager will be to maintain the website and its content.
VI. Nominations and Elections
A. The Chair will be responsible for preparing a slate of one or more nominee(s) for the office of Chair during their term.
B. Ballots will be distributed by and returned to the Chair in time for the results to be declared during or before the annual business meeting. The nominee with the most votes is elected.
A. A vacancy in the office of Chair will be filled by a previous Chair until a new Chair can be elected.
1. At least one business meeting will be held each calendar year. Additional meetings may be held. All meetings will be held at a time and place convenient for members. Notice of all meetings will be disseminated to the membership at least thirty (30) days in advance of the meeting date.
1. One third of the current members, who are in good standing, will constitute a quorum.
2. For a vote to be taken at a meeting, a quorum must be present.
IX. Amendment of Bylaws
A. These bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the membership, provided that the amendment has been submitted in writing to the membership at least thirty (30) days prior to the vote being taken.
Policies and Procedures Documents:
Voting Procedure – guidelines for voting via online survey or email
Election Procedure – recommended timeline for finding nominees, sending out ballots, etc.
Funding requests – process for approving use of funds
Guidelines for being a member in good standing – on being an active member